Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Water Touching Stone: A Mystery Involving Tibetan Religion

 Water Touching Stone by Eliot Pattison is actually a re-read. I rarely re-read books, but the mystery book club that I attend is reading this novel for the June meeting. I read it so long ago that I didn't remember very much about it.  I never reviewed the book. Yet at the time I read it, I remember thinking that it was one of the best books I'd ever read.

                                   

 

This is the second book in a series whose central character is Shan Tao Yun.  I have reviewed  Mandarin Gate (Shan series #7) on an earlier blog here , and Bones of the Earth which is the final book of the Shan series here

I was angered to learn from this book that the Chinese had been using Tibet for nuclear testing.  I found an article on the subject at Nuclear Tibet.  It includes the use of prisoners for constructing nuclear facilities.  I am concerned about their exposure to radiation.

Shan must stop the murder of boys which involves finding out why these murders were happening.   I wasn't surprised when the killer's motive was revealed.

There are American archaeologists who turn out to be pivotal characters.  I didn't think that archaeologist Jacob Deacon would have mentioned that "there might be treasure" at his site.  From an archaeological perspective "treasure" is an artifact which belongs in a museum.  This is why museums often sponsor archaeology.

I found this book suspenseful, but I'm not as impressed with it as I was when I read it the first time.  Since I really hadn't remembered the plotline, this wasn't due to familiarity.  It just didn't strike me as remarkable or original, though I did very much like the Tibetan religion aspect.  


                               




 

 

                                

No comments:

Post a Comment