Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2021

Dead on my Feet : A Mystery For A March Meeting

 I had almost reached the end of February.  It was at that point that I realized that I had read no mysteries in February so far. This rose to the top of my mind because the monthly meeting for a mystery discussion group that I attend was approaching.  So I started a mystery from the library and quickly abandoned it for lack of interest.  Then there was a mystery that I had recently downloaded for free from a multi-author mystery giveaway distributed via Book Funnel.  That one suffered the same fate as the library mystery.  

 I thought I had found a solution when I was approved that very day for a mystery from Edelweiss which distributes e-books for free in return for reviews.  This meant I was obligated to finish and review it, or I might not be approved for any books from Edelweiss in the future.  That book was Dead on my Feet by Patricia Broderick.   

                                  

 

Unfortunately, I hadn't finished this third novel in time for the mystery group meeting, but I had reached the milestone of 82% in the Kindle version.  At that point, I felt fairly certain about whodunit and had some conclusive opinions about the characters and plot.    Since finishing it my views haven't changed.

When I spoke to the book club I wasn't mistaken about whodunit, but I only knew who the person was in general.  I actually wasn't  aware that there was more about the individual that needed to be revealed.  The truth was that I didn't know what I didn't know. 

 I have to say that calling the protagonist Nellie Bly ,when the only thing she has in common with the real Nellie Bly was that she is a journalist, annoyed me. There was also a not very believable incident involving a character locked in a trunk, and another incident that I considered over the top.  Finally, since I pretty much knew whodunit at 80% , there wasn't much suspense afterward.  So I'm not a fan of this mystery.  

I have to admit that I'm in a poor mood because I need to move this month, and I never like moving.  Who does?  I might have been more inclined to like this book in other circumstances though I doubt it.

                                       




No comments:

Post a Comment