Cheater's Game by Paul Levine is the third book I've read in the Jake Lassiter series of legal mysteries and thrillers. I reviewed the previous two Lassiter novels, Bum Luck
and Bum Deal at their respective hyperlinks, and really liked the protagonist for his heart and his courage. I gratefully received an ARC of Cheater's Game from publicist Wiley Saichek.
The cover definitely draws attention to the book. It's very illustrative of the case. Jake Lassiter's brilliant nephew, Kip, is charged with taking SAT tests on behalf of high school students from families in the the top 1% . Kip is guilty, but the novel clearly shows that this is an example of selective enforcement.
In Jake's defense of Kip, he brings forward some issues that will cause readers to think about justice, and whether juries should consider fairness. If the law is enforced unfairly, how can that be redressed? We have laws about various types of discrimination, but there are other forms of unfairness that occur in the justice system.
Jake's fiancee, brain expert Dr. Melissa Gold, also plays an important role. I learned about a brain condition in this book that I'd never seen mentioned before .
I think that Cheater's Game is provocative and original. I consider it a strong candidate for best thriller of 2020.

No comments:
Post a Comment