The publisher approved me for City of Ink on Net Galley because I had reviewed the first novel of the Li Du mystery series, Jade Dragon Mountain, here. I praised the first book for its unusual 18th century China setting. When I received this third novel, I realized that I should have gotten seven lashes with a wet Chinese noodle for neglecting to read the second book in the series, The White Mirror. Last month I corrected that shortcoming and reviewed Li Du #2 here. I thought The White Mirror was fascinating because of it's 18th century Tibet setting. It was the best novel that I read in the first half of 2018. My honest review of City of Ink is below.
In City of Ink Li Du returns to Beijing from exile. He had been exiled for his association with Shu who had been executed for conspiring against the Emperor. Shu had been Li Du's mentor and friend. He couldn't believe that Shu could have been guilty of such a terrible crime. So Li Du's main goal in returning to Beijing is to clear Shu's name.
I believe that Li Du's effort to vindicate his dead friend could have made a compelling short story. It was certainly the strongest aspect of City of Ink, and provided a powerful ending to the novel.
Unfortunately, a great deal of narrative space was taken up with an investigation that didn't interest me nearly as much as the drama of Li Du's personal crusade to clear Shu. There were murders at a tile factory. Li Du diligently followed the clues and came to a slightly unexpected conclusion. Yet this was the sort of case that could have taken place anywhere. It was a classic mystery with the requisite plot twist, but after the extraordinary goings on in Tibet during The White Mirror I expected more.
The Imperial exams for government positions were an event in the foreground of City of Ink. It didn't surprise me that corruption had crept into the exam process. It would have astonished me far more if all the examiners and applicants were completely honest. Bureaucratic corruption adds realism, but I considered it a routine element in this novel.
Li Du's friend, the storyteller Hamza was entertaining as usual. I continue to regard him as the most interesting character in this series. I hope that Elsa Hart includes Hamza in Li Du's future adventures.
I admit to having been disappointed by the mystery aspect of City of Ink, but I am optimistic about the possibilities that could develop for Li Du and Hamza in upcoming novels.

No comments:
Post a Comment