Search This Blog

Thursday, January 1, 2015

My 2014 Retrospective

                                                                 

                                                        

                                                                                                                                  
First I'll start with a few statistics which I'll present in narrative format because I have comments on them.

I only posted 26 times since this blog was established.  I really need to do better.  I certainly hope that I will post more frequently and with greater regularity in 2015. I owe it to my readers to improve.

I'm happy that I have had more than a fourteen hundred total views.  Since it's a relatively new blog,  my number of views has exceeded my expectations.

I blog here and at Book Babe which is an older and more established blog with a following.  My assumption was that my most viewed post this year would be at Book Babe.  On the average, my posts at Book Babe do get more viewers.  Yet my most viewed post is The Merman and The Barbarian Pirate   right here on this blog.  I'd like to think that it's popular because I reviewed an LGBT fantasy novel the same way I'd review any other book.

Now I'd like to present

                                                        The Golden Mask Awards

Favorite Book of 2014

The Seven Perfumes of Sacrifice by Amy Logan (2012)

This title is also the best indie  that I read in 2014 (from small publisher Priya Press in San Francisco), and the best mystery I read in 2014 as well.  Since I finished it at 11:30 p.m. on New Year's Eve, I have not yet had an opportunity to review it.  My review of this amazing feminist novel dealing with honor killing in the Druze community in Israel will definitely be the first review I post in 2015.

  Favorite Book Published in 2014

Last Stop Klindenspiel by Marta Tandori (2014)

This novel dealing with a post-WWII circus in Poland is also the best YA book that I read in 2014 and the best historical fiction that I read in 2014 as well.  I reviewed it on Book Babe  here .

Favorite Fantasy Novel in 2014

Random by Alma Alexander (2014)

This  highly original fantasy deals with an entirely new approach to shapeshifters.  I reviewed it on this blog here.

Favorite Romance Novel in 2014

Girl on a Wire by Gwenda Bond (2014)

This delightful YA Romeo and Juliet novel steeped in circus history and traditions was one that I reviewed on Book Babe here.

Favorite Net Galley in 2014

Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth (originally published in 2012)

This Australian import that is partly historical fiction and partly a unusual retelling of the fairy tale Rapunzel was reviewed by me on Book Babe here.

Favorite Bookplex Book of 2014

How The Water Falls by K.P. Kollenborn (2014)

This powerful portrayal of South Africa's journey in overcoming apartheid was reviewed on this blog
here.

Favorite Book Won From a Booklikes Giveaway

I won seven books from Booklikes and haven't had a chance to read them all, but the best book I did read from Booklikes in 2014 is:

Rhinoceros Summer by Jamie Thornton (2013)

This well-characterized portrayal of an American teen photographer in Africa is one I reviewed on Book Babe here.  It was also my most viewed post on Book Babe.

I would like to thank my readers for their interest in this blog, and my co-blogger Tara Chevrestt for welcoming me to the Book Babe band of reviewers.


                                                

 
 
 





 
 







1 comment:

  1. Been a pleasure blogging with you, Shomeret. Happy 2015. Hope you read a ton more awesome books this year. :)

    ReplyDelete